The Pastoral Review is directed to those engaged in pastoral ministry, both ordained and lay. By
supporting your parish ministry it is a resource for the whole parish. It is also worth making clear
that the cost of a subscription will qualify as a genuine parish expense, or for those of you working in
other ministries or are retired, a diocesan expense.
With the Year of Faith currently being celebrated, we would like to offer you a special introductory
Each edition of the journal is 96 pages long. Here’s what you’ll find in every issue of The Pastoral
• Breaking the Word. Find inspiration for every Sunday during the journal’s two-month span.
Complemented by notes on Scripture texts for weekdays providing reflections for daily
• Contemporary Theology. Leading clergy and theologians explore issues on a range of topics
relevant to the Church today.
• Leadership & Ministry. Learn about topics relevant for all aspects of ministry.
• Past & Present. A perspective on the past and how it impacts on today’s issues.
• Book reviews. Discover the books that are shaping our thinking and fuelling debate,
reviewed by our team of clergy, course directors, lay people and theologians.
The Pastoral Review is a trusted source of reference, insight and guidance in your vital pastoral
Preaching Matthew and Luke - The second of two articles offering suggestions for preaching the Gospels, by Gerald O’Collins SJ
From Zechariah to Agabus - The first of two articles examining what is said about the Holy Spirit in Luke’s Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles, by Adrian Graffy
The parish of the high seas Tom Grufferty - writes of his experience as a cruise ship chaplain, and explains how The Apostleship of the Sea provides pastoral and spiritual care for seafarers
Evelyn Waugh - This article by Jeremy H.C.Rowe looks at imagination and Catholicism in Brideshead Revisited and Helena by Waugh
Eucharistic action in modern Jewish practice The meaning and significance of Jewish prayers, and Eucharistic actions in modern Jewish practice, are assessed by Emily Rosen